Did you know that root canal therapy isn’t as bad as you think? In fact, most patients who have undergone the treatment say it’s comparable to having a cavity filled. Still, we understand that having root canal therapy probably isn’t something you’re exactly looking forward to. But waiting to have a root canal treated is usually a bad idea.
Sadly, there are many consequences of postponing this important procedure. For example, you may need root canal therapy because of an infection inside your mouth. If left untreated, your tooth could die and your infection can become worse. Similarly, your infection could spread to your other teeth or your gums, which could result in gum disease or lead to more teeth needing root canal therapy. An infection in your mouth can also spread to your body, leading to heart problems, inflammation, or a stroke.
But, how do you know that you need root canal therapy. At times, there are actually no symptoms, and only a dentist will be able to detect the problem (this is another reason that for checkups every six months). Fortunately, there are many signs you can watch for, including:
- Sensitivity to temperature. Usually this sensitivity will be painful. Similarly, this pain can increase and linger when you come in contact with a hot or cold object.
- A toothache that may get worse when you bite into something or apply pressure
- A pimple full of pus, or a pimple that seems to stay to long. Also, your pimple could be recurring.
- Discolored or darkened teeth.
- Gums that are swollen or tender.
If you are worried about the health of your smile, or have any questions about why you shouldn’t wait for root canal therapy, please feel free to contact us.